The Advocate, the students’ newspaper of the Graduate Center, currently seeks a new Managing Editor to join the Editorial Committee. The Managing Editor serves alongside the rest of the Editorial Committee in soliciting, selecting, and editing articles and developing editorial policy.
- Solicit and edit articles for the forthcoming issues
- Contribute one article for each issue under “CUNY News”
- Assist the Advocate in expanding its digital presence
- Assist in the maintenance of the Advocate website
- Assist in the distribution of print issues
- Occasional transcription of interviews, conferences, and public lectures
- Be available, either in person or over email, during the final layout process
- Help in advertising the new issues of the Advocate
Qualifications: The Managing Editor must be a matriculated student at the Graduate Center, CUNY. Previous experience in journalism, editing, or print media is helpful though not required.
Required Skills, Knowledge, and Labor: Applicants for this position should have an advanced understanding of English grammar and syntax. Additional language skills are a bonus, but are a non-requisite for the position. An intermediate to advanced understanding of Microsoft Word is necessary for this position as well. Applicants must be able to write quickly and cogently under pressure of deadlines and be able to conduct multiple rounds of close editing of the articles conforming to the guidelines for contributions in addition to the production schedule. Total hours vary from issue to issue, but with the bulk of the work done in the time between the contribution deadline and the production deadline; on average the Managing Editor should expect to work 15-20 hours per issue.
Remuneration: The Managing Editor is paid per issue at the rate of a Graduate Assistant B (about $980 per issue). We produce six issues a year.
Duration: The position has a set term for the remainder of Volume 28 (three remaining issues from April to June) with the option to continue during the next academic year.
Contact: To apply please send a Resume, along with a letter of interest and a brief (no more than five pages) writing sample to Bhargav Rani at email@example.com by April 16.